If you are already enjoying the great benefits of getting a hairline tattoo known as scalp micropigmentation, then good for you. Many are the benefits of scalp micropigmentation for people struggling with hair loss. Before the procedure, it is only natural to inquire about a hairline tattoo touch-up how and when to do it before the process. So today, we’ll be sharing with you all about the matter.
Hairline tattoos are getting more and more popular; thanks to this technique, you can forget about the embarrassment of hair loss and start anew. Scalp micropigmentation has become a widely sought-after restoration procedure for people of all ages. And the best part? Is that scalp micropigmentation known to last a long time? You can expect fantastic and life-changing results when it comes to concealing thinning hair to rejuvenating a receding hairline.
Whether you already had a hairline tattoo done or are perhaps only doing your research about it to make your final decision, scalp micropigmentation has changed the lives of many for the better. Continue reading to know what to expect, what factors you should consider, and more about hairline tattoo touch-ups.
Hairline Tattoo FAQs
Can you tattoo your hairline?
Hairline tattoos, officially known as scalp micropigmentation, are an advanced method of cosmetic pigmentation. Similar to traditional tattooing, the procedure works by injecting pigment into the scalp during a highly intricate procedure. You should also read about SMP Hairline procedure to Thicken Hairlines.
How long do hairline tattoos last?
Scalp Micropigmentation is a form of permanent cosmetics or permanent makeup. Often referred to as a cosmetic hair or scalp tattoo, this treatment typically lasts 4-6 years. After that time, a client may experience some slight fading, to which they can come back in for a quick touch-up.
Is hairline tattoo permanent?
A hairline tattoo, also called Scalp micropigmentation, is a permanent cosmetic procedure. During a Micropigmentation session, a technician injects small amounts of ink into the skin to create the look of short hair or hair follicles. And you should know hairline tattoos are also suitable for women!!
How much is a hairline tattoo?
You can expect to pay between US$1,500 and US$3,000 for their hairline tattoo. For a full hair tattoo, the cost can go as high as US$4,000.
Do you need a touch-up after getting a hairline tattoo?
Scalp micropigmentation or SMP is known to last long and is technically a permanent solution. But, you will need to get touch-ups after a certain period of time. Typically, the time could vary between one year to four years. Depending on how you want it to look, the need for touch-ups will vary. The frequency of touch-ups is subjective and influenced by many factors.
Will the hairline tattoo fade?
Scalp micropigmentation is a specialized form of a tattoo. A needle deposits pigment under the surface of your scalp to mimic the look of hair follicles. Initially, the pigments are very dark, and you will notice the final, faded color after a few days. The initial fade is quick, leaving you with the desired color. But, this pigment also starts getting lighter gradually.
Is a hairline tattoo harmful to your body?
The pigment deposited in an SMP procedure is a foreign substance to your body, but it is in no way harmful to it.
Why does SMP fade over time?
SMP pigments are not deposited as deep as tattoo pigments; this is the main reason why pigment fading takes place. It’s just that your body doesn’t recognize it. Your body will react to it just like it does to any other foreign substance. Your immune system and white blood cells will slowly break it down, which causes the pigment to lighten.
If you have a very strong immune system, the chances of you needing a touch-up more frequently will be higher.
What factors make SMP fade?
- Your hairline tattoo also fades in the process of exfoliation. Some pigment is lost as you get rid of the dead cells on your scalp. Naturally, if you have a dry and flaky scalp, you will lose more dead cells, and the need for touch-ups will be more frequent.
- People with excessively oily scalps may also experience excessive fading due to dilution inside the skin membrane.
- The sun’s harmful UV rays also damage the pigment and accelerate the fading process. Make sure to use proper sun protection and avoid direct exposure as much as possible. Wearing a cap or hat every time you step out in the sun will give you longer-lasting results.
What can you do to make sure your hairline tattoo lasts?
- The most important phase in an SMP procedure is during and a few weeks after the treatment. The freshly deposited pigments require care, which will have a huge impact on how it looks.
- You will be told to abstain from washing your scalp for about three days after the treatment. This also includes excessive sweating. If you live in a hot and humid climate, take maximum precautions.
- Activities like swimming or going to a sauna are also not advised for a month. Leading an active lifestyle can be a reason for you needing more frequent touch-ups.
- Besides using sunblock, using good products without excessive chemicals and alcohol will also give you better results.
How often should you have your hairline tattoo touched up?
Experts recommend a touch-up every four to six years as a general guideline. However, if your hairline tattoo is still looking great after six years, then no need to come in. Keep in mind touch-ups aren’t a requirement. As long as you are happy with your look, that’s all that matters. Read more about touchups from our article on hairline tattoo touchups.
How to determine when you need a touch-up?
- Your hairline tattoo will inevitably need some refreshment with time. That said, if you are comfortable with lighter pigmentation over time, you will not need a touch-up session for a longer time.
- If you want to keep the look fresh, you will need more frequent trips to the practitioner. In many cases, as the hair starts greying and the pigment starts fading, it looks very blended and natural.
- In the case of greying hair, you will need a touch-up based on how you want the pigment to look.
How many sessions do you need to complete a hairline tattoo touch-up?
Touch-ups can usually be completed in one session and require aftercare as your initial treatment. Best part? After your touch-up is done, you can expect the results to last another four to six years.
Hairline Tattoo Touch-Ups Additional Tips
To extend the life of your hairline tattoo, some aftercare tips are a must:
- No intense exercise or heavy sweating during the course of treatments or for five days after the final treatment.
- Do not use Propecia or other topical hair-growth products during treatment or 30 days after the final treatment.
- Do not shampoo, scrub, or shave your scalp for at least four to five days after a scalp micropigmentation treatment.
- Using sunscreen not only protects your SMP from fading but also protects you from skin cancer, so remember to protect your scalp with sunscreen.
- Use a gentle shampoo for scalp cleansing.
- Would you like to know the pros and cons of getting a hairline tattoo?